Thursday, March 1, 2001

The Center of the World

I'm back on the beach with Arienette. Behind us, a city towers beyond the clouds, watching us. The City is completely empty, and it is the Center of the World.

She's trying to get me to follow her into the City. She's telling me that she loves me, and if I love her too, that I would follow her. The sun rises, the sun sets, and she's still pleading for me to go.

But we're both far less than we knew back than. I have a duty, don't I? I can't afford to die yet. I can't afford to settle down yet, either. I need to help fight for our freedom, then maybe one day, I can finally live with her.

I can hear an alarm clock in the background. The familiar sounds of my old bedroom play out all around me. The Deathwatches tick faster. I am glad that I'm falling back into reality...because being at the Center of the World was a dream, right? The pills on the shelf next to me are surely reality.

No. No it wasn't. The alarm clock going off is the dream. The mirror's pieces glisten with blood as I step on the glass shards, crawling into the wooden frame because a hole has appeared in that strange square place.

Arienette is there, and I choose her, unaware of the strings pulling me along.

She tells me that all I have to do is follow her into the City, and then we can be together forever.

The Fevers start again, my mind becomes too clouded to make a proper decision, and I begin to follow her.

When you drive home to your place
From that job that makes you sleep
Back to the thoughts that keep you awake
Long after night has come to claim
Any light that still remains in the corner of the frame
That you put around her face
Two pills just weren't enough
The alarm clock is going off but you are not waking up
This isn't happening
It is

No comments:

Post a Comment